Some professionals in the medical filed might fret when you tell them that you would rather resort into the use of traditional home remedies rather than the drugs that are prescribed for you. Well, it is natural for them to react negatively because they might see it as an insult that you do not follow their instructions. However, there is nothing to be afraid of with the use of homemade treatments. After all, they are backed with extensive history in the field of alternative medicine.
The reason on why they are popular is basically because they have proven to be effective and have withstood the test of time. With such being said, the rest of this article will provide you with a brief introduction on some of the ancient home remedies that are still being practiced by many people today and considered to be viable alternatives to various contemporary approaches in treating specific health conditions.
- Hydrotherapy. Some of you might think that hydrotherapy is a contemporary practice, which is specifically seen in high-end spas promising to provide you with a relaxing time and soothing the tired body. In reality, however, this is an ancient practice that has evolved through time. There are some modifications introduced, including the use of modern equipment, but the general premise is rooted from ancient traditions.
Some of the countries that have used such in the early times include China, Japan, Rome, Greece, and Egypt, among others. In Rome, this has been used not only as a means for treating various ailments, but also as a form of recreation and socialization, as proven by the popularity of public baths in the country. In today’s practice, water therapy is also blended with aromatherapy in order to provide a higher level of effectiveness.
- Massage. Like in the case of hydrotherapy, massages were not introduced just as a result of the surfacing of spas. It is a practice with extensive history. In fact, according to experts, it dates back from as far as human history itself. Therapeutic touch is not only believed to be done in the ancient times for being able to soothe the body, but also as a part of rituals of different groups. Along the way, perfumes, lotions, and oils, among others, have been also incorporated in order to make massage target a specific goal. Today, massage can be done at the comfort of your own home to treat body pain and other conditions, such as anxiety.
- Honey. For thousands of years, honey, especially in its raw form, has been proven to be one of the most effective home remedies for various conditions. Even doctors would agree on how it is rich in terms of nutritional value. While most people would often use honey as a sweetener for their tea, it has other purposes. It is considered to be a powerful antiseptic, which is why it is a default choice for the treatment of wounds and burns. It is also antiviral, which makes it good for the treatment of common cases of colds and coughs.
- Garlic. In the practice of ancient Indian medicine, garlic is believed to be the perfect alternative for being able to cure lack of appetite, skin diseases, and rheumatism, among others. Today, garlic has transcended the test of time and is considered to be one of the magical home remedies for different conditions. Because it is considered to be rich in antioxidants, it is used for treating skin conditions and also as a part of being able to defy the visible signs of aging. If you have toothache, garlic will also be a viable solution. Of you have high blood pressure or high cholesterol; intake of garlic is also recommended because it is believed to have properties to help make the blood thinner.
- Ginger. While many would most probably think of ginger as a flavoring for food, it actually does more than that. Based on practices in ancient alternative medicine, ginger is said to be effective in being able to combat inflammation. It is also used for being able to treat nausea and an upset stomach. There are also several studies in the past claiming that making ginger a part of your diet will make it an effective anticancer agent.